Those with normal and above-average intelligence are said to have high-functioning autism. Asperger’s syndrome is closely related. Identified for the first time in 1944 by Viennese psychologist Hans Asperger, it wasn’t officially classified as a unique disorder until 1994.
What famous actors have Aspergers?
Here are seven famous people living with Asperger’s.
- Susan Boyle. Doug Gifford/Getty Images. …
- Courtney Love. Michael Tran/Getty Images. …
- Dan Harmon. Richard Shotwell/AP Photo. …
- Dan Aykroyd. Sarah Hummert/AP Photo. …
- Daryl Hannah. Jacopo Raule/Getty Images. …
- Sir Anthony Hopkins. Mike Marsland/Getty Images. …
- Andy Warhol.
What can be mistaken for Aspergers?
The conditions listed below all exhibit similar behavioral symptoms to autism spectrum disorder. Behavioral treatments for these conditions overlap with those of autism. However, treatments should always be informed by diagnosis.
- Prader-Willi Syndrome.
- Angelman Syndrome.
- Rett Syndrome.
- Tardive Dyskinesia.
How do you know if someone has Aspergers?
Signs and symptoms of Asperger’s syndrome
- Lack of interpersonal relationship skills and instincts.
- Inability to express one’s own feelings.
- Often verbalizes internal thoughts that most would keep private.
- Flat tone / speaking style that lacks pitch.
- Appears to lack empathy.
- Has a difficult time interacting with peers.
Does autism worsen with age?
Goldsmiths, University of London researchers working with adults recently diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder have found high rates of depression, low employment, and an apparent worsening of some ASD traits as people age.