Down syndrome cannot be cured. Early treatment programs can help improve skills. They may include speech, physical, occupational, and/or educational therapy. With support and treatment, many people with Down syndrome live happy, productive lives.
How can the characteristics of Down syndrome be overcome?
- Physical therapy includes activities and exercises that help build motor skills, increase muscle strength, and improve posture and balance. …
- Speech-language therapy can help children with Down syndrome improve their communication skills and use language more effectively.
Can a child with Down syndrome look normal?
Some of the children with Mosaic Down syndrome that we know do not actually look as if they have Down syndrome – the usual physical features are not obvious. This raises some important and difficult social issues and identity issues for both parents and children, which parents have discussed with us.
What are the signs of Down syndrome during pregnancy?
Some common physical signs of Down syndrome include:
- Flat face with an upward slant to the eyes.
- Short neck.
- Abnormally shaped or small ears.
- Protruding tongue.
- Small head.
- Deep crease in the palm of the hand with relatively short fingers.
- White spots in the iris of the eye.
Why is Down syndrome not curable?
Down syndrome is a random occurrence in nature. It has no cure or prevention measures. Down syndrome is not a disease, disorder, defect or medical condition and therefore does not require treatment, prevention or a cure.