What factors affect mitotic index?
Other factors that may affect the mitotic rate are salinity, temperature, mineral limiting factors, pH, roundworms, soil bac teria or fungus, other plant hormones, amount of light, acetaminophen, aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamins and minerals, heavy metals, antibiotics, and certain plant competitors that excrete inhibiting …
What controls the rate of mitosis?
The central components of the cell-cycle control system are cyclin-dependent protein kinases (Cdks), whose activity depends on association with regulatory subunits called cyclins. … Thus, activation of S-phase cyclin-Cdk complexes initiates S phase, while activation of M-phase cyclin-Cdk complexes triggers mitosis.
What are 7 things that can affect or control the rate of cell division?
Factors Affecting Cell Division
- Nutrients. The nutrients present in the cell affect cell division. …
- Genetics. Genetic code regulates cell division. …
- Chemicals. Exposure to toxic chemicals such as pesticides and some cleaning chemicals can cause cell mutation. …
- Stress. Stress affects cell division.
What is the importance of mitotic index?
In cancer cells, the mitotic index may be elevated compared to normal growth of tissues or cellular repair of the site of an injury. The mitotic index is therefore an important prognostic factor predicting both overall survival and response to chemotherapy in most types of cancer.
Which zone has the most mitotic activity?
What region of a root has the most mitosis activity? Why? The end has the most mitotic activity. The cells are going through later stages of mitosis.
What controls the rate of cell division?
A variety of genes are involved in the control of cell growth and division. Tight regulation of this process ensures that a dividing cell’s DNA is copied properly, any errors in the DNA are repaired, and each daughter cell receives a full set of chromosomes. …
How do environmental factors affect mitosis?
With environmental factors, such as rainfall or lectin protein, mitosis is induced in some root apical meristem tissues. Lectin is a protein found in soil near roots, which stimulates the rapid division of cells. … This is a simple example of abiotic factors in the environment affecting plant growth.
Does temperature affect mitosis?
The relative change in the duration of mitosis and of interphase are shown to differ with change in temperature. … The rate of cell progress, or mitotic rate, throughout the mitotic cycle increases linearly with increase in temperature between the range 3 °C to 25 °C.
What are three things that affect cell division?
- The death of nearby cells and the presence or absence of certain hormones can impact the cell cycle.
- The release of growth-promoting hormones, such as HGH, can initiate cell division, and a lack of these hormones can inhibit cell division.
What are three factors that regulate cell division?
Typical external factors that influence cell division are the following:
- Availability of raw materials can affect cell division. …
- Radiation can change DNA molecules. …
- Toxins can damage cell DNA. …
- Viruses replicate by hijacking a cell’s metabolism to make copies of the virus, but viruses can also affect cell DNA.
What factors could initiate cell division?
Both the initiation and inhibition of cell division are triggered by events external to the cell when it is about to begin the replication process. An event may be as simple as the death of a nearby cell or as sweeping as the release of growth-promoting hormones, such as human growth hormone (HGH).